Ideally situated on the Mediterranean coast, Canet en Roussillon is the second largest town in the Pyrénées Orientales, 10 minutes from Perpignan (the first town in the Pyrénées Orientales), 45 minutes from Spain and just an hour from the first foothills of the Pyrenees. The richness of its historical heritage, its protected natural site and its tourist dynamism make Canet en Roussillon the perfect alliance between tradition and modernity.
Located at the entrance of the village, Ma Prairie, your campsite in Canet en Roussillon is the ideal starting point to discover the diversity of the Mediterranean coast, its historical heritage and the Catalan culture! Situated just a stone's throw from the Etang de Canet pond with its extraordinary biodiversity, the campsite is only 1 km from the Colline des Loisirs (Leisure Hill): home to top-level sports activities (Europa Olympic Swimming Pool) and many other leisure activities.
An authentic village
The Ma Prairie campsite is a 10 minute walk from the heart of the village of Canet en Roussillon. Stroll through the winding lanes of the old village to observe the remains of the fortifications and the Château Vicomtal, perched on a hillside from where the sea could be watched. Just like the Pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela who stopped here, you will not fail to pass by the14th century church of Saint-Jacques which proudly raises its bell tower in "Cairou", the local red brick.
The pond of Canet-en-Roussillon
The pond of Canet-Saint-Nazaire is home to an exceptional fauna and flora on nearly 600 hectares in the lagoon, you can observe nearly 230 species of birds, including migratory birds such as flamingoes and redhorses. The pond is their wintering place. With a bit of luck, you will be able to spot a kingfisher that stays here all year round. The pond is also part of the Natura 2000 network, a European label that aims to protect the biodiversity of natural sites.
Several paths allow you to discover this remarkable natural heritage on foot. Guided tours are also organized. Don't forget to bring binoculars to observe the animals from the observation post. The huts in the fishermen's village have been renovated. You can even visit a permanent exhibition in one of them. It recounts the history of the pond, its ecological role and the diversity of its fauna and flora.
Activities and leisure activities of Canet-en-Roussillon
With Ma prairie, your campsite in Canet-en-Roussillon, several activities and leisure activities are available to you:
- The Arlette Franco Swimming Centre - Europa Olympic Swimming Pool, hosts regional or national championships.
- Nautical activities: Kitesurfing, Standing paddle, sailing, scuba diving or simply beach clubs...
- Discover the city by little train
- Visit the aquarium
- Stroll around the port and the 9 km of fine sandy beaches of Canet-Plage all with Blue Flagstatus.
- Stroll in the arboretum with its 11 hectares of greenery
- Try your hand at a water sport
- Strolling in the Local Markets
- Visit the vineyards and their estates in Roussillon where you can taste the local wines.
- Relaxing with thalassotherapy or balneotherapy
- Treat yourself at the Casino
- Discover Catalan gastronomy thanks to the wide choice of cafés and restaurants available near the campsite.
During the season, the small train runs through the village, serving the seafront, the leisure hill and the main beaches of the resort.