From May to September, the restaurant "Ma Prairie" offers traditional cuisine with typical Roussillon dishes and a selection of local wine. This passion for the Catalan gastronomic heritage is rewarded by the Sud de France Quality Label. In July and August, the restaurant Ma Pra irie organizes every week 2 theme evenings and 1 music concert.
Specialities from Roussillon and the Catalan country in the restaurant
Tapas and savoury dishes
The Pyrénées-Orientales have a rich gastronomic heritage. Indeed, the cuisine of the Occitan region uses both sea and mountain products. It has been influenced by many cultures and particularly by nearby Spain. There are as many fish-based dishes (cod, sea bream, sardines, anchovies from Collioure, oysters, langoustines, prawns, clams, mussels, ...) as there are cold meats and meat dishes (lamb, snails, pork, ...).
The Roussillon cuisine gives pride of place to fresh fruit and vegetables (purple Roussillon artichoke, apricots, tomatoes, asparagus, ...) but also to dried vegetables such as chickpeas, beans or lentils. On the cereal side, there are many specialities based on rice or pasta and sometimes potatoes. Paella, for example, has a version where rice is replaced by pasta; this dish is then called fideuà.
Among the most popular specialties to taste at the restaurant MA PRAIRIE :
- Serrano ham
- Le Pan con Tomate (bread rubbed with a tomato, garlic, olive oil and salt)
- Collioure Salad
- Climbing, grilled vegetables
- Picolate balls (meatballs)
Desserts from Roussillon and the Catalan coast
On the sweet side, the Catalans are not to be outdone. Among the most well-known and appreciated traditional desserts are :
- The Catalan cream which is a kind of crème brûlée flavoured with cinnamon and lemon.
- The bunyols or bunyetes, doughnuts sometimes stuffed with Catalan cream.
- The nougat turrón or "turrón".
- The mel i mató, a fresh cheese similar to ricotta cheese served with honey.
- The gypsy arm which is a rolled cake usually made of a sponge cake and filled, again, with Catalan cream.
- Quince paste.
There are many more Catalan specialities to be mentioned, as the region is so rich in flavours, but the easiest way is to come and taste them directly at the Restaurant Ma Prairie!